Newsletter August 2004

ALS Newsletter August 2004

ALS 04/3, August 2004

Welcome to the (slightly late) August edition of the ALS Newsletter. The big news is that the ALS now has its own domain name, so change all your bookmarks to point to!! The site itself is still being hosted by the Research Centre for Linguistic Typology - as always, many many thanks to the RCLT for that. All that the new domain name does is hopefully makes it easier for you to remember our address.


News and information

Minutes of the 2004 Annual General Meeting

The President opened the meeting at 5:35pm on Wednesday the 14th of July at Sancta Sophia College at the University of Sydney, with the following members present: Verna Rieschild, Doug Absalom, Heather Bowe, Ludmilla A'Beckett, Alan Libert, David Nash, Jane Simpson, Doug Marmion, Jean-Christophe Verstraete, Peter Collins, Cynthia Allen, Kate Burridge, Rachel Nordlinger, Nick Evans, Erica Schmidt, Alice Gaby, Felicity Meakins, Peter Austin, Bill Foley, Sadami Kondo, Wayan Arka, Pei-Shu Tsai, Andrea Schalley, Margaret Craig, Mark Donohue, Zosia Golebowski, Matthew Toulmin, Anthony Grant, Therese Carr, Anna Ash, Ian Green, Mengistu Amberber, Alan Dench, Margaret Florey, Andrew Pawley, Louise de Beuzeville, Caroline Jones, Ilana Mushin, Ron Coleman, David Bradley, Maya Bradley, Harold Koch, Peter Peterson, Jim Martin, Mary Laughren, Christina Pentland, Brett Baker, Nick Thieberger, John Henderson, Michael Walsh

1. Apologies

Ingrid Piller, Tim Curnow

2. Minutes of the 2003 AGM

Accept minutes, moved David Nash, seconded Brett Baker.

Passed unanimously.

3. Matters Arising

i. Professional Indemnity Insurance: Mary Laughren reported that she had no new information.

ii. ICHL: Harold Koch reported that ICHL would probably not proceed in Christchurch in 2007.

4. Office Bearers' Reports

4.1 President

Michael Walsh reported that longtime member George Turner, who had been a co-founder of the Society, had passed away. A letter will be sent to his widow to offer condolences and express the Society's gratitude for his contribution.

Michael also reported that since last year's offer by UQ, an offer to host the 2005 conference had also been received from Monash. Kate Burridge noted that the ALAA conference would be in Melbourne in 2005, and that this represented an opportunity to bring the two conferences into synch again. Mary Laughren reported that no irreversible obligations had been entered into at UQ, and that UQ was happy to cede the hostship to Monash. The Executive will continue negotiations. Kate Burridge will contact ALAA re dates. Peter Peterson expressed a preference for September. Nick Evans pointed out that the Linguistic Typology conference will be held in Sumatra in July 2005 and it would be better if ALS did not clash with this.

4.2 Secretary

Nothing to report.

4.3 Treasurer


ABN 55 533 808 998

Financial Statement 26/9/2003 - 12/7/2004

Income.    Expenditure.
Membership $8,062:- ALS 2003 $5,398:10
AJL $7,744:- Conf grant $654:28
Interest $6,096:37 ALS 2004 $2,000:-
ALS 2003 $940:- Treasurer $700:-
Bank charges $974:25
Total $22,842:37 Total $9,726:63
Surplus $13,115:74
Accumulated funds 25/9/03 $139,764:14
Surplus 2003/4 $13,115:74
Total funds 12/7/2004 $152,879:88
Represented by:-
Fixed Deposit $38,478:72
Money Managers $87,318:09
ALI account $20,962:63
Cheque account $6,825:44
Total $153,584:88
Unpres. Cheque $1,000:-
Total $152,584:88
Deposit 12/7/04 $295:-
Total funds $152,879:88

Although a surplus of $13,000 for the period looks to be very healthy, it can be quite illusory. The day after I did the books, I received two bills, one from Pacific Linguistics for $5000 and one for AJL for $8000; result – we've actually just broken even over the period. Most of the other items are as expected. The treasurer's expenses were for a two year period and included $150 for diesel fuel for the bus at the Newcastle Conference. AJL income was a little down on last year's as we had to pay tax in England but Taylor and Francis are assisting us greatly in our efforts to retrieve that money. Hopefully, in next year's statement, there will be a new entry, styled Tax Return! Overall, we are looking fairly comfortable financially with assets of almost $140,000, so membership fees will remain as they are for the next period to the end of 2005.

4.4 Journal Editors

Reviews editor Alan Libert gave an update on reviews. Other discussion was deferred to the later item.

Peter Peterson indicated that he would have liked the AGM to have had a report from the editors. Harold Koch pointed out that no report was received at last year's AGM either. John Henderson indicated that the editors would be asked to provide a written report to be published with the Minutes.

4.5 Newsletter Editor

Everything much as usual. Major changes with website. Thanks again to RCLT at La Trobe University for continuing to host our pages on their website, which saves us several hundreds of dollars per year that a commercial hosting arrangement would cost. ALS now registree of own domain name:

Other changes coming up: new logo being designed by Verna Rieschild's daughter Chloe; David Nash has handed over his list of Australian linguistics organizations, departments and Australian linguists personal pages, so that has been integrated into our Links page; list of members on website out of date and impossible to update, so it has been removed; password-protected section of the site will soon be removed; pages for the media to 'find a linguist', organized by Verna Rieschild, will appear on website shortly; following a suggestion of Mary Laughren at last year's AGM, a two-page PDF file has been designed — the front page gives information about ALS and why you should join, the back page is a membership form - it will soon be displayed prominently on the website.

4.6 ALS2004 Organisers

Jane Simpson reported on the successful planning and running of the conference. A refereed online Proceedings will be published: submission details will be e-mailed to presenters. The organisers offered suggestions for future conferences:
i. consider using conference management software of the kind used this year, as it had proved to be very useful.
ii. provide a template for abstracts, with model abstracts and clear criteria for acceptance.
iii. plan for the provision of sign interpreting (as the costs of this had not been taken account until after the registration fee had been set).

There was general discussion on sign interpreting. Louise de Beuzeville suggested that either paid or volunteer interpreters might be used, but noted that volunteer interpreting was generally not favoured within the profession. She suggested that costs could either be factored into the registration fee or met by donations. Jane Simpson nominated a cost of $3600 based on this conference, which could in future years be met from general ALS funds, a donation of $30 per registrant, or a levy of that amount. Margaret Florey questioned the imposition of a levy. Mary Laughren suggested that a special fund of the type run by the LSA, with voluntary contributions, could at least partially subsidise the cost. Determining the level of need was discussed: Andy Pawley suggested that a question could be placed on the registration form. Michael Walsh suggested that general provision should be made when there is a section of the program dealing with sign languages, as this year, but that otherwise the need should be determined from individual registrants. Nick Evans noted that cost-effective scheduling of interpreters could potentially conflict with thematic organisation of papers, and questioned whether the Society could provide interpreting services for any language that may be requested. Louise de Beuzeville pointed out that the Deaf situation is unlike those of spoken languages and warranted special arrangements. Peter Austin noted that provision of sign interpreters at conferences is now a legal obligation in the UK.

Verna Rieschild noted that interpreters would need info/papers in advance of the conference in order to prepare themselves.

Michael Walsh proposed a motion from the chair that a question on the need for sign interpreting should be included on the registration form in future, and that where needed, the cost should be met from general funds. Passed by general assent.

4.7 CIPL Representative

David Bradley reported that the annual meeting of the CIPL would be held soon and invited members to let him know of any issues that might need the international attention offered by this forum.

5. Publication of Reviews in AJL

Three motions were moved by Jim Martin and seconded by Jane Simpson. Jim Martin spoke to the motions: They modify editorial policy in relation to reviews, adopting more of a mentoring role. He noted that this could create more work for the editors, but believed that the benefits warranted it.

  1. That the Editors and Review Editors of AJL design a short generic template for review articles as a guide for reviewers, including advice to the effect that:
    • a brief survey of the content of each chapter of the book should be provided
    • some evaluation (positive and/or negative) of this content would be encouraged
    • an indication of the most likely readership for the book would be indicated
  2. That in cases where an Editor feels a book review is very critical and/or potentially damaging to the author and their academic standing, the author of the book be invited to reply, and that the reviewer be given an opportunity to reply to this response. The review, author's reply and reviewer's response would normally be published together.
  3. That the Editors be asked to prepare a statement of editorial policy and practice which would provide information and guidance for future editors, including outlining the complementary roles and responsibilities of Publishers, Editors, Review Editors, Guest Editors, the Editorial Board and Referees.

Andy Pawley noted that the first step should be that the editor determines what is suitable for publication. Nick Evans observed that criticism can be a part of rigorous academic debate. He also expressed the opinion that, in an edited volume, not every chapter needs to be individually surveyed, and that it should be left open for an author's reply and reviewers response to be published in a separate issue.

Peter Peterson spoke against all three motions:

  • Re (1), he pointed out that reviewers are already provided with a short template, and that they are asked to provide an overview rather than a chapter by chapter summary. The reviews editor should ensure that the review does not have too narrow a focus.
  • Re (2), Peter expressed the view that a reviews section should not be a debate, and that the use of reply articles in the journal needs to be tightly controlled. He emphasised that reviews should be regulated by the reviews editor.
  • Re (3), He agreed that it would be useful to have a statement of editorial policy and practice, but that it should be determined by the Executive rather than the editors alone, even if the editors draft the statement.

Nick Thieberger suggested that if a review is potentially damaging the reviews editor should provide mediation between the author and reviewer.

Margaret Florey expressed concern that it would not be helpful to extend the time between a review and the reply/response. She expressed support for motion 3.

Harold Koch suggested that word limits would have to be placed on both the author's reply and reviewer's response.

Cynthia Allen expressed the view that replies and responses should be at the discretion of the editors, that they were not mere functionaries. Andy Pawley supported the idea that the right of reply should be at the editors' discretion. Peter Peterson said that the preceding issues were already covered in the existing 'rules' in that there is nothing which prohibits replies. Michael Walsh commented that there was, however, nothing to prompt them. Jim Martin asked whether the current editors have a policy of no replies. Alan Libert reported that the current practice is not to publish replies to reviews. He expressed the view that different kinds of reviews are appropriate for different kinds of books. He said that he did not want to be a censor of debate, and pointed out that very little space is allocated for reviews as it is. Alan Dench said that he was concerned not to limit the editors' role, that they should be trusted to make the best decisions for the journal, though it is reasonable for people to comment to them on any editorial matters. Michael Walsh suggested that 'ask' in (3) be changed to 'invite' so as not to be seen as a direction to the editors. Alan Dench suggested that the matters in (3) should be left to the editors. Michael Walsh agreed that they are the editors' prerogative. Peter Peterson supported the change from 'ask' to 'invite'. Andy Pawley suggested that (3) should be sufficient to cover the matters addressed in all 3 motions. The Chair asked the proposer and seconder if they would modify the motion, substituting 'invite' for 'ask':

  • That the Editors be invited to prepare a statement of editorial policy and practice which would provide information and guidance for future editors, including outlining the complementary roles and responsibilities of Publishers, Editors, Review Editors, Guest Editors, the Editorial Board and Referees.

The motion was then put, and passed with no objections.

The Chair brought on motion 1. Peter Peterson reiterated his comment on the current advice to reviewers. The motion was put, but failed.

Motion 2 was then put, and also failed.

6. National Indigenous Languages Survey

Doug Marmion reported that the NILS is being conducted by AIATSIS and funded by ATSIS. The survey is available online at, and all linguists and others are encouraged to contribute.

7. Linguistics in Schools

Doug Marmion referred to discussion at earlier AGMs on promoting linguistics in schools and pointed out that while this appeared to be successful in Victoria, not much appears to be available in other states.

8. Language Testing in Refugee Cases

An e-mail on this subject was recently distributed via ALSOnline. Input on this matter can be sent to the Secretary (John Henderson) by the end of July. The Executive will then make representation to the government on behalf of the Society.

9. Elections of Office-bearers

The Chair noted that Verna Rieschild completed her term as Vice-President at the AGM and thanked her for her contribution. On the resignation of Nick Thieberger as Post-graduate Representative midway through his two-year term, the position was up for election for a term of twelve months until the scheduled election in 2005.

The following vacant positions were filled unopposed:

  • Vice-President - Heather Bowe
  • Treasurer - Doug Absalom
  • Secretary - John Henderson
  • Newsletter Editor (Associate Secretary) - Tim Curnow
  • Post-graduate Representative - Alice Gaby

10. Other Business

i. Harold Koch asked for information on ALI and the changes to the editorial board of AJL. The Chair replied that both matters were still under consideration. Brett Baker reported that UNE needed to reconsider their offer to host ALI in 2006 due to concerns about its financial viability, and agreed to report back to the Executive as soon as possible in order to allow time for another institution to step in if necessary.

ii. Peter Austin reported that $3M is available from the Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project at SOAS, and encouraged members to apply.

The meeting finished at 7pm.

Back to News Back to Contents

ALS Annual Conference 2005

Kate Burridge confirms that the Society's 2005 Annual Conference will be held in Melbourne at Monash University (City Campus - 30 Collins Street). It will be held during the common week in September together with ALAA. The Applied Linguistics conference will be opening their conference (at Melbourne University) probably on the evening of Sunday 26th September. We will be having a joint plenary on the Tuesday evening (27th September) and there'll be a common day on the Wednesday. An announcement for abstracts will be sent out in the future (deadline probably in May, but yet to be confirmed).

Back to News Back to Contents

Interested in an East Asian languages textbook?

From Cliff Goddard

Dear friends and colleagues,

I have a textbook in press with Oxford UP called The Languages of East Asia: an introduction. I've put an abbreviated version of the contents page below. The book aims to survey the languages of East Asia and Southeast Asia from the perspective of general descriptive linguistics, and to explore ways in which language, culture and history are intertwined. I have tried to write it so that it could be used both in linguistics courses and in Asian studies programs.

Now here's the thing. The local branch of OUP has queried whether the book should be regarded as a textbook or as a reference work. I have therefore been asked to provide some idea of what institutions and/or programs in Australian would or could be interested in such a book as a textbook.

Please reply to me at: Cliff Goddard .

Many thanks! Cliff.

Chapter 1: A First Look - Introductory remarks; Lack of inflection; Word order (constituent order); Lexical tone; Classifier constructions; Serial verb constructions; Multiple pronouns and other systems of address; Honorific forms; Other common features.

Chapter 2: Language families, linguistics areas, and language situations - What is a language family?; The major language families of East Asia; Mainland Southeast Asia as a linguistic area; Language situations in the countries of East Asia.

Chapter 3: Words: origins, structures, meanings - Loans as indicators of cultural history; Word structure: derivational morphology; Meaning differences between languages; Cultural key words.

Chapter 4: Grammatical topics - Classifier constructions revisited; Aspect; Serial verb constructions; Subject and topic; Sentence-final (illocutionary) particles.

Chapter 5: The East Asian soundscape - Phoneme systems; Word shapes: phonotactics; Tones and allotones; Shifting sounds: morphophonemics; Pitch-accent in Japanese.

Chapter 6: Writing systems of East Asia - Types of writing system; Alphabetic systems; A logographic system: Chinese; Japanese: A multi-scriptal system; A note on calligraphy.

Chapter 7: The art of speaking - Word skills in East Asian languages; Speech styles; The Japanese honorific system; Communicative styles.

Exercises; Solutions; Glossary of linguistic terms.

Back to News Back to Contents

News from the Research Centre for Linguistic Typology, La Trobe University

Visiting Fellow: Dr Stefan Elders, of the University of Bayreuth, will be at RCLT from 1 September until 30 November working on the morphological evidence in comparative Niger-Congo and on issues in parts-of-speech typology, focussing on Gur and Adamawa-Ubangi.

Special Visiting Fellow: Professor Dr Bernard Comrie will be awarded the Degree of Doctor of Letters (honoris causa) at 11 a.m. on 15 September, and will then present a Public Lecture on the topic 'Languages, Genes, and Prehistory', with the following abstract: 'Inter-disciplinary research bringing together linguists, geneticists, and archeologists is throwing new light on hitherto intractable questions relating to prehistoric human population movements. Four case studies are examined in detail to illustrate such results: (i) the origin of the Haruai people of south-eastern Madang Province, Papua New Guinea; (ii) the arrival of Turkic languages in Azerbaijan; (iii) the Indo-Europeanization of Europe; and (iv) possible scenarios for the arrival of the English language in Great Britain.'

New RCLT Postdoctoral Research Fellow: We are pleased to announce that Rosemary Grace Beam de Azcona, who is currently completing her PhD dissertation on A Coatlán-Loxicha Zapotec Grammar at the University of California, has been awarded a three-year RCLT Postdoctoral Research Fellowship to work on 'Documentation of San Agustin Mixtepec Zapotec: dictionary, grammar and text collection'. Rosemary is expected to take up her position here in January 2005.

For further information on our Visiting Fellows and ongoing activities, please visit our website at

Back to News Back to Contents

News from La Trobe Linguistics

Congratulations are extended to Alec Coupe who has been awarded a PhD for his thesis entitled 'The Mongsen Dialect of Ao: a language of Nagaland'. Alec has subsequently taken up his ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Linguistics Program to work on the project 'A typology of adverbial subordination and clause linkage in Tibeto-Burman languages'.

Back to News Back to Contents

News from the University of Queensland

PhD awarded: Dr Murray Garde was awarded his PhD in December 2003 for his thesis 'Social Deixis in Bininj Kun-wok Conversation' which was supervised by Mary Laughren, Bruce Rigsby (Anthropology) and John Bradley (Anthropology).

Post-doctoral research and teaching fellow: Dr Nguyen Thu who was awarded her PhD from the University of Queensland in 2004 for a thesis on 'Tonal constraints on Vietnamese acquisition of English stress and rhythm', supervised by John Ingram and Rob Pensalfini, has been awarded a UQ post-doctoral fellowship for three years which has allowed her to rejoin the UQ linguistics program this year. She is researching Vietnamese prosodic hierarchical structure, and is also involved (25%) in our linguistics teaching program.

Postgraduate students: Postgraduate students in our program are investigating a number of different languages including Berber, Japanese, Mauritian Creole and Warlpiri.

Students win PhD scholarships to USA graduate programs: Ananda Lima who graduated with first class honours in Linguistics in 2003 is taking up a PhD scholarship offered by UCLA. Michael Proctor who graduated from our MA in Linguistics program in 2003 has accepted a PhD scholarship from Yale.

Visiting Scholars

Yuichi Mori, from Seikei University, Tokyo, is a visitor in our program this semester and will be staying until April 2005. He has been working on synechdoche in the Cognitive Linguistics framework with Professor Yoshiki Nishimura who is one of Japan's leading cognitive linguists.

Prof. Tetsuo Kubo from the Kyoto University of Foreign Studies will spend this semester in our program, researching in the TESOL area.

Prof. Kuzuo Misono, Chair of the Graduate School of Humanities at Kanto Gakuin University, Japan, is investigating the perception of English vowels by Japanese L1 speakers, having carried out extensive research into phonetic variation in the production of English vowels by native speakers. Two of Professor Misono's graduate students are also visiting our program during their summer vacation.

Dr. Jeannette Schaeffer from the Dept. of Foreign Literatures & Linguistics, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, visited in August and presented some results of her on-going research in a talk 'On the grammar-pragmatics interface: Evidence from Specific Language Impairment'.

Dr. Alessandro Tavano, from the Dept of Social Sciences, University of Udine, Italy, will be visiting our program in September. His research is in the fields of neuro and psycho-linguistics. Currently he is primarily interested in the joined development of pragmatics and grammar in children aged 0-4, with special attention to language impaired children in multilingual settings.

Back to News Back to Contents

Books and theses

Free books available by Robert De Beaugrande

Robert De Beaugrande is glad to announce the free distribution of his 'big' books to be downloaded gratis from his website

1. A New Introduction to the Study of Text and Discourse: Discursivism and Ecologism (2004). I. Theory and Practice; II. Theory and Practice in Studies of Language; III. Lexicogrammar in the Study of Text and Discourse; IV. Prosody in the Study of Text and Discourse; V. Visuality in the Study of Text and Discourse; VI. Style in the Study of Text and Discourse; VII. Discursive Themes of Social Division; VIII. The Standards of Textuality Revisited; IX. A Final Word.

2. Introduction to Text Linguistics (1981)

3. Text Production (1984)

4. Critical Discourse: A Survey of Contemporary Literary Theorists (1991). Rene Wellek and Austin Warren; Northrop Frye; Leslie Fiedler; Wolfgang Iser; E.D. Hirsch; Hans Robert Jauss; Norman Holland; David Bleich; Bernard Paris; Jonathan Culler; Paul de Man; Harold Bloom; Geoffrey Hartman; Kate Millett; Luce Irigaray (new inclusion).

4. Linguistic Theory: The Discourse of Fundamental Works. Ferdinand de Saussure; Edward Sapir; Leonard Bloomfield; Kenneth Lee Pike; Louis Hjelmslev; Noam Chomsky; John Rupert Firth; Michael Halliday; Terry Winograd (previously unpublished); Teun van Dijk and Walter Kintsch; Peter Hartmann.

5. New Foundations for a Science of Text and Discourse (1997)

If you or someone you know lives in a region where internet use is hard or even dangerous and wants a book, get Robert an e-mail and a safe postal address, and he'll mail them the a CD for free. Contact:

Back to Books Back to Contents

Books available for review

The following is a list of publications relating to the study of language, received by the Reviews Editor. Note that it is not possible to return books to the publisher, and that acceptance of a book implies no promise that it will be reviewed in this journal. Reviews are printed as circumstances permit, and copies are sent to the publishers of the works reviewed. If you wish to review a book, please contact the Reviews Editor Alan Libert (

  • Kreidler, C.W. The pronunciation of English: a course book. Second edition. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2004. Pp. xvi + 308. Cloth £55.00; paper £19.99.
  • Chambers, J.K. Sociolinguistic theory. Second edition. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2004. Pp. xxiv + 320. Paper $69.30.
  • Milroy, L. & Gordon, M. Sociolinguistics: method and interpretation. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2003. Pp. xv + 261. Paper $61.95.
  • Horn, L.R., & Ward, G. The handbook of pragmatics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2004. Pp. xix + 842. Cloth £95.00.
  • Byram, M. (ed.) Routledge encyclopedia of language teaching and learning. London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xxiii + 714. Paper £24.99.
  • Gramley, S. & Pätzold, K.-M. A survey of modern English. (Second edition.) London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xviii + 397. Paper £19.99.
  • Thomas, L., Wareing, S., Singh, I. Stilwell Peccei, J., Thornborrow, J. & Jones, J. Language, society and power: an introduction. London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xxiv + 239. Paper £15.99.
  • Jenkins, J. World Englishes: a resource book for students. London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xvi + 233. £14.99.
  • Pöchhacker, F. Introducing interpreting studies. London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xii + 252. Paper £16.99.
  • Chilton, P. Analysing political discourse: theory and practice. London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xiv + 226. Paper £18.99.
  • Trott, K., Dobbinson, S. & Griffiths, P. (eds.) The child language reader. London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xviii + 364. Paper £18.99.
  • Venuti, L. (ed.) The translation studies reader. (Second edition.) London: Routledge, 2004. Pp. xiv + 541. Paper £21.99.
  • Blake, B. The Warrnambool language: a consolidated account of the Aboriginal language of the Warrnambool area of the Western District of Victoria based on nineteenth-century sources. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics, 2003. Pp xiii + 223.
  • Pensalfini, R. A grammar of Jingulu: an Aboriginal language of the Northern Territory. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics, 2003. Pp. xix + 262.
  • Foster, R., Monaghan, P. & Mühlhäusler, P. Early forms of Aboriginal English in South Australia, 1840s-1920s. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics, 2003. Pp. xxxi + 102.
  • Evans, N. Bininj Gun-Wok: a pan-dialectal grammar of Mayali, Kunwinjku and Kune. Volumes 1 & 2. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics, 2003.

Back to Books Back to Contents

Jobs, grants and scholarship possibilities

Post-doctoral Fellowship in Documentation & Description of Endangered Languages

Endangered Languages Academic Programme, Department of Linguistics, School of Oriental and African Studies

£21,594 p.a. - £24,641 p.a. inclusive of London Allowance

Vacancy 04-87

Applications are invited for a two-year Postdoctoral fellowship in the documentation and description of endangered languages. The position will be held at SOAS and will commence in January 2005. Applicants with a research specialisation in Asian or African languages will be preferred.

The main purpose of the fellowship is to contribute to the research and teaching in the Endangered Languages Academic Programme (ELAP), which is one component of the Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project along with the Endangered Languages Documentation Programme (ELDP) and the Endangered Languages Archive (ELAR). ELAP is located within the Department of Linguistics and the Fellow will be a member of the department whose staff members are strongly committed to extending the frontiers of theoretical and field linguistics research.

The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the research profile of ELAP and of the Department of Linguistics, to contribute up to 3hrs teaching per week, and to present papers at departmental seminars and conferences. There may also be opportunities to be involved in workshops and intensive training courses.

Applicants should hold (or be about to complete) a PhD in linguistics with a focus on documenting or describing an endangered language. Evidence of preparation of an annotated corpus of documentary materials will be an advantage.

Benefits include 30 days annual leave plus statutory and bank holidays and membership of USS pension scheme.

For informal enquiries about the fellowship, please contact Prof. Peter Austin, Director of ELAP, SOAS, Russell Square, London, WC1H 0XG, UK. E-mail:

An application form and information pack may be obtained from the Human Resources Department, School of Oriental and African Studies, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London, WC1H 0XG (tel: 020 7898 4134, fax: 020 7074 5129, e-mail: Website: Application forms should be accompanied with: a curriculum vitae (to include a list of publications); an abstract/summary of the applicant's doctoral thesis; and a clear statement of the candidate's academic plans for two postdoctoral years.

Closing date for applications: Monday 4 October 2004

Interviews are scheduled for week commencing 25 October 2004

For further information go to:

Back to Jobs Back to Contents

Conferences and workshops

Language contact, hybrids and new varieties: emergent possessive constructions

3 - 4 September 2004

9.00am - 5.00pm

School of Languages, Cultures & Linguistics Monash University

Keynote speaker: Prof. Pieter Muysken, University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Conference organisers: Dr Margaret Florey (Monash University), Dr Patrick McConvell (AIATSIS)

Further information, including program and registration details, can be found at:

Back to Conferences Back to Contents

Dictionary Making Workshop

There will be a Dictionary Making Workshop held on 25-27 November following the AIATSIS conference, AIATSIS Canberra. For further details, please go to

Back to Conferences Back to Contents

About ALS


  • To further interest in, and support for, linguistic research and teaching in Australia.
  • To organise an annual meeting and visits of local and overseas speakers.
  • To publish a journal of international standing.
  • To organise an International Congress of Linguists when appropriate.
  • To organise an Australian Linguistic Institute.

Benefits of membership

  • Free quarterly Newsletter.
  • Free subscription to the Australian Journal of Linguistics.
  • Membership rates for ALS conference registration.
  • Entitlement to present papers at the Annual Conference.
  • The more intangible benefits of belonging to the network of Australian linguists.

ALS office bearers

President Michael Walsh (Sydney)
Vice-Presidents Heather Bowe (Monash)
Rachel Nordlinger (Melbourne)
Ingrid Piller
Secretary John Henderson (UWA)
Treasurer Doug Absalom (Newcastle)
Journal Editors Toni Borowsky (Sydney)
Mark Harvey (Newcastle)
(Reviews) Alan Libert (Newcastle)
Newsletter Editor Tim Curnow (UQ)
Postgrad Student Rep Alice Gaby

Next newsletter

The ALS Newsletter is published four times per year. This is the third issue for 2004. The next issue (04/4) will come out in mid November 2004. Copy will be due on the first Monday in November. If you would like to be on the email list for a reminder that the date is approaching, contact the Newsletter Editor.

Please send copy, and any queries, comments or suggestions to Tim Curnow (

The ALS journal

The ALS publishes a journal, the Australian Journal of Linguistics (AJL) twice a year. The latest issue was 24/1. The journal is published by Carfax (Taylor & Francis),

Correspondence regarding papers and reviews should be sent to any of the editors or the reviews editor (contact details in office bearers section).

ALS membership and address changes

In general, subscriptions are due at the beginning of each calendar year, unless you pay for several years at a time. The year you are paid to is shown on the address label on the envelope your journal comes in.

A form is available on the website to renew your subscription.

This may be a good time to remind you that apart from email addresses, there is only one membership list and that is maintained by the Treasurer, Doug Absalom ( If you need to change your address or make other enquiries, please do it through him.