Proceedings of the 1999 Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society
The Proceedings of the 1999 Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society are published here electronically. The conference was held at the University of Western Australia in Perth from September 28 to October 2 1999.
Only a minority of papers presented at the conference are published here. Abstracts are also available for all other papers presented at the conference. [Click here for abstracts pages.]
These Proceedings should be referenced as:
Henderson, John (ed.) 2000 Proceedings of the 1999 Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society. http://www.als.asn.au
We ask that individual papers in these Proceedings should be referenced with a URL for this Proceedings page rather than for the specific document. For example,
Allan, Keith 2000 The Lexicon and Quantity Implicatures. In Henderson, John (ed.) Proceedings of the 1999 Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society. http://www.als.asn.au
Note that there is no overall page numbering system for the Proceedings as a whole: page numbering in each paper starts at 1.
Papers submitted for these Proceedings were required to meet the standard for publication in academic journals such as the Australian Journal of Linguistics, subject to a word limit commensurate with the length of the conference presentations. Papers submitted for these Proceedings were anonymously reviewed by at least two academic referees. In each case, at least one of the referees was not a member of the Academic Committee for the conference. Not all papers submitted for these Proceedings were accepted for publication. The review process for the Proceedings was separate from the review process for acceptance of abstracts for the actual conference presentations.
The official date of publication of these Proceedings is June 2, 2000.
- The Lexicon and Quantity Implicatures [abstract]
- A Preliminary Analysis of Lebanese Arabic Intonation [abstract]
- Towards a Cross-linguistic Typology of Copula Constructions [abstract]
Timothy Jowan Curnow
- An Acoustic-Phonetic Descriptive Analysis of Pitch Realisations in Kagoshima Japanese [abstract]
- Constraints on the Pre-auxiliary Position in Warlpiri and the Nature of the Auxiliary [abstract]
- Thematic Role Hierarchies and Role Engagement [abstract]
- Suffix Coherence and Stress in Australian Languages [abstract]
- "Just do it ...!" Discourse strategies for 'getting the message across' in a factory production team [abstract]
- False witness: when historical texts fail [abstract]
- Set Marking Tags - 'and stuff' [abstract]
Joanne Winter and Catrin Norrby